Sunday, April 18, 2010

So this past week we talked about relationships in Japan. We mainly discussed sex friends and how they are pretty common. My friends told me that it is more common to have a sex friend then to have one night stands...that they rairly occured in Japan, where sex buddys are little common. As I am queer, I have been to gay bars here and have gay friends. Most of the guys I have met in bars and such also have sex friends, but also have boyfriends. A few have also have talked me about random hook ups and the like. I think in the gay community that it is very easy for the guys to have one night stands and such. This really intrigues me because of how they have sex friends, and boyfriends at the same time...and a few are married. In america i would never say that the tipical american is faithful to thier spouse or that they dont have sex friends...americans just seem more secretive about it. I dont know very many gay guys in america but they dont seem as whorish...maybe its because i dont know very many or the fact that i live in a small town. Does the typical japanese couple have may affairs or is that rare? If a spouse catches the other cheating do they get divorced right away or do they put on a show for other people like the gay married men? Also another thing I was wondering about is older people getting into relationships and what not...it seems in america that people play around while they are younger and then get into a serious relationship in their late 20's or early 30's and beyond...what about in Japan is this the same? I have heard that if you are not married at a certain age you are like a lost dog....

1 comment:

  1. I think you brought up two topics that might be particularly interesting to talk about. One is "sex friends" or the separation of sex from serious commitment. The other, which may be related, is loyalty and/or extramarital affairs. My impression is that it used to be somewhat common (or tolerated) for married men to engage in sexual "play" outside of marriage. This reminds me of bars where men (often married) enjoy flirting with "hostesses." Many non-Japanese women have come to Japan to work as "hostesses."

    ReplyDelete